Saturday, September 17, 2011

Talking Points #1

From Amazing Grace by Jonathan Kozol


REFLECTION.
By the time I was finished reading this article, I had tears pouring out of my eyes. Having to read about all the destruction and sadness that is everyday life for these people broke my heart. There was one quote that touched me out of the 12 pages we had to read. David is speaking to the author about his mother and says, "Somebody has power. Pretending that they don't so they don't need to use it to help people--that is my idea of evil." Near the beginning of the article, the author is taken on a tour by a young boy named Cliffe; the way that he said certain things ("'I saw a boy shot in the head right over there'", etc.) so nonchalantly frightens me. I mean, I knew that there were destitute people "out there", but reading about all of this made it hit home. While I was reading, I couldn't help thinking of a song that I recently fell in love with. It's called "Hide and Seek" by Imogen Heap. The song can be interpreted multiple ways, and I think if you listen to the song you'll understand what I mean. You should definitely listen to it!

2 comments:

Heather said...

     Well first, I LOVE that you posted Hide and Seek - Imogen Heap is one of my all time favorite bands.  Most people only even know this song exsits because it's in the chorus of some other song :[

     I completely agree with you on this reading. I didn't find it difficult to read in terms of language but the stories and real life accounts were heart wrenching. The fact that people live in terrible circumstances and have no help to make better for themselves, is really dreary. I makes me appreciate my life style more.

-Heather Forthun

cupcake0628 said...

Watching that video the melody reminded me of that commercial with the dogs and cats in the shelter. That song "The Arms of the Angel". I do agree on how sad that article was and how those people had to suffer.

-Ariel Croce