Saturday, October 8, 2011

Talking Points #4

Argument for "Unlearning the Myths that Bind Us" by Linda Christensen

Christensen's argument is that children are taught stereotypes from a very early age. "Cartoon images, in particular the Disney movie Peter Pan, were cited by the children (in a research study) as their number one source of information. At the age of three, these children had a set of stereotypes in place." In other words, if you were to show a three year old the movie "Peter Pan", and if you were to ask what a Native American looks like, they would most likely respond by describing them with extremely red skin and always wearing moccasins and animal skins. That's not how it is, though. People no longer need to be stereotyped; this is the modern world! "They assure me that they make their own choices and the media has no power over them -as they sit with Fubu, Nike, Timberlands or whatever the latest fashion rage might be." If the media has no power over anyone, then no one would be bullied for not wearing what's "hot" or "cool" or "in." It seems to me that now  the media is pushing "Be yourself! Individuality! Yay for uniqueness!" so of course, all the kids are "finding their individuality"--by copying everyone else.
"I don't want students to believe that change can be bought at the mall, nor do I want them thinking that the pinnacle of a woman's life is an "I do" that supposedly leads them to a "happily ever after." This is something that I personally relate to. I tried the whole changing my wardrobe and look thing. I dated a guy, and four months later I found out he was cheating on me with a girl who was much prettier than I was. I gave up, I knew I would never be beautiful in society's eyes. Then I met the man who would become my husband. He didn't care about my looks, he didn't care that most of my clothes were hand-me-downs, he cared about me, about my intelligence, my personality, my sense of humor. We started dating, and now we're married. It's not a happily-ever-after sort of thing, but it's real life. We argue, we get mad at each other, but at the end of the day we still love each other and that's a picture perfect ending for me.
Christensen isn't trying to destroy our dreams or ruin our childhood, she just wants to show the truth that the media hides behind. She wants society to break free of the chains of stereotypes. I personally can't wait to discuss this in class, I know it will be a very interesting topic!

1 comment:

Elyssa said...

I like the point you made about how the media pushes you to be yourself but then people just go out and copy other people, kind of ironic huh?
It's werid never realized how much the media does affect us in this way.