Sunday, October 16, 2011

Talking Points #5

"In The Service of What?"Joesph Kahne and Joel WestheimerExtended Comments
I'm extending my comments from Kayla's blog post about our week's reading. She says that she thinks it's a great idea to have students teach or tutor those less fortunate than them, and I have to agree with her. When I was in high school, we were required to do community service to graduate, and I chose to volunteer at our local recreational center. I would monitor the children's playtime, then I would help them with homework. There were a few whose parents didn't really care about their school life, so I would be the one to push them to do their homework. I'd help with any questions, I'd check over their answers, and I'd listen to them if they had to read out loud to someone. These students came from poor and extremely diverse backgrounds and I even had to deal with a child abuse case during my volunteer times. It's heartbreaking sometimes, but it made me realize just how good I have it.
I also agree with Kayla about the key to being a successful teacher is to not be afraid of change. A good teacher is one who is willing to change things around in order to make themselves a better teacher. Who knows, the change could actually benefit a child!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I agree teachers shouldn't be afraid of change. That's what makes a great teacher!

courtney_xoxo said...

Sammi, I work at an after school program where we help the kids with homework and be a role model for them. it is extremely important to make sure the students feel safe around you and you might have to change your view on certain things for them