Sunday, October 30, 2011

Talking Points #7

Gender and Education-Hyperlinks
I did quite a bit of research and this really interesting article is one of the first things I came across. It talks about how schools are gender biased and barely even realize it. I read some interesting points in the article about the different types of gender bias in education. Even over-looking sexual harassment is gender bias, and even gives the hidden message that it's okay to degrade others. I poked around the website a little and it's a very interesting site. It even has a section for songs dealing with social justice.

I came across this informational graphic that seems to contrast with the previous article. The article states that girls tend to score higher on tests, but the graphic above contradicts that with men scoring higher on the SATs. Does that mean that once in high school, men tend to do better? The website that I found this graphic on has some more interesting graphics comparing men and women.

The final article that I came across made a very good point. Instead of constantly forgetting about one gender to help the other gender do well in school, use the same method to help both genders. The article uses a hands-on experiment as an example. If boys learn better with this hands-on experiment, then girls will learn better with the experiment as well. Don't just ignore one gender; otherwise that helps to strengthen the gap!

3 comments:

Shannon said...

I read the last article you posted as well, I agree that a lot of the problems with the gender gap come from people concentrating on just one gender, while the other falls behind. Its important to teach children as a whole first and foremost!

AManfredi said...

That's intresting stats on that picture, I was shocked by some of the results

Pinkaila said...

It was worse years ago o3o they made girls do cookery and boys do woodwork. Stereotyping much? X'D
I've never really noticed equality issues in school's I've been in, but guys and gals have different ways of learning I guess, so teachers or whatever picked up on that decided better ways to 'get' to kids XP when really, everything works for everyone. Either way, it's almost as if the education system is judging how people learn via gender? I'm very practical and hands on, I ain't no boy >XD